Once a separate village with its own harbour, Bridgeness
is a district of Bo'ness lying to the east of Grangepans.
Around 1766, in the shadow of the now residential
Bridgeness Tower, a small one kiln potworks started to
produce brownware pottery from the local clay. It closed
Pottery production returned to the area in 1887 with the
opening of C.W. McNay's Bridgeness Pottery. The
pottery was owned by the McNay family throughout its 71
years of manufacturing and closed in 1958.